Main Lesson Plan 30 minutes
Q: What are Power Tools?
Tools we can use in our “coaching”. However to reap most benefit from these tools, we need to first apply these tools to ourselves as coaches, we need to apply these powerful tools in our lives.
Coaching is a profession that does not separate the life from the profession. If coaches do not practise what they preach, they cannot be effective. The power and presence of the coach comes from the light that shines out of his life.
Q: How would you define respect? How do you understand it (Invite class to contribute):
The opposite of these will describe invalidating
Q: What are some ways we show respect for ourselves or for others?
Q: What are some ways we invalidate ourselves or for others?
Q: What is the impact of respecting self or others?
- It strengthens you, you feel you have value
- You bring out your best self, you perform at your best
- You live up to that respect and own that honour – very powerful tool to bring out the best in ourselves and in others.
- “To respect someone is a real gift in life and a powerful way to relate to the world around us.”
Conversely we can see how detrimental it is when we invalidate ourselves or others. (prepare story, example?)
Q: So what prevents us from respecting ourselves or others? Why wouldn’t we want to respect ourselves or others? What stands in the way? And what can do about it?
- Judgments, conditioning, beliefs systems,
- Our perception or interpretation of the person or event
Do you see how judgment can invalidate?
Q: Are we aware of the judgments we have as we relate to ourselves and others? Practise that awareness this week, zoom out, get some altitude and observe what thoughts go through our head as we go through the day, how we think of ourselves, or others or of a situation. Remember that facts have no meaning except the meaning we give it.
“When we discern our judgments we can choose how to respond to someone or a situation.” We can choose to either respect or invalidate. Every day, we are faced with this choice. How do we make our choices? Perhaps we may not be aware that we are passing on judgement every day on everyone, including ourselves.
Activity 5 minutes
Go through an incident or thought which you encounter today, can you recall what may have been the judgment that went through your head? How did that support you in wanting to respect? How might you do it differently in the future?
Sharing from 2
Q: What can you do about the judgment you have?
- The first principle in Coaching is that we suspend judgment
- The assumption here is that we are talking about negative judgment (granted that there is also good judgment).
- We acknowledge, recognize and set it aside, we let our judgment go if we want to respect ourselves and others.
Q: What are some things we can do to help us exhibit respect for ourselves and others?
Q: What are some standards (tools) we can use to show respect for ourselves and others?
Q: What are some boundaries you can set to let others know what you will and will not tolerate and why. We teach others how to treat us!
You need to be clear on what your limits are and then communicate that clearly to others. Don’t assume others will know because they won’t.
Q: What are some ways we as coaches can show respect to our clients? This creates a safe environment for the client. It also serves as a model of respect for the client to follow in their own life.
Summary: 5 minutes
Ask participants (1 or more of the following):
- What are your specific take-away?
- How will you apply what you learn today?
Fieldwork: reflect and journal or post to blog. Also visit at least one other person’s post
- Notice how you show respect for yourself in the coming week and acknowledge yourself for it
- Notice how you show respect for others in the coming week and acknowledge yourself for it
- In the coming week, notice if you shows moments where you invalidate yourself. Be aware and choose to let go of judgement and start respecting yourself
- In the coming week, notice if you shows moments where you invalidate others. Let go of judgement and start respecting others.
They are also invited to do the evaluation / quiz for the class.